Jul 29, 2019
In this episode, I chat with Holly Edstein - a registered
dietician who is incredibly passionate about bringing factual and
evidence-based information to the nutrition world.
We chat about all things nutrition for hiking and trekking and
she helps clear up many topics which are very misunderstood in the
Inside this episode we discuss:
- Why you would be a fool to trust the majority of
nutrition advice you see on Instagram
- The #1 source of fuel a hiker should focus on before and during
- Why sufficient iron is so important for hikers and
trekkers (and what population are at higher risk of deficiency
- The everyday 'supplement which can have a massive benefit to
your trail performance
- Should you be worried about 'sugar crashes' from common
- What "the sprinkles, on top of the icing, on top of the
cake" is when it comes to sports nutrition
- Why dehydration can have such a massive impact on your
performance on the trial (and an easy plan to avoid
- What hyponatraemia actually is (and best practices to avoid it
while on the trail)
- A few simple nutrition tips to ensure you don't get
sick on the trail
- What fat-adaptation actually is... the underlying theory behind
why this nutrition strategy is so popular right now... some
potential benefits of fat adaptation and some major drawbacks...
one common mistake many people make while trying to implement this
nutritional strategy... and much, much more!
Holly Edstein is a registered dietician, who works with the
NSW Institute of Sport and the Sydney Roosters. You can find her on
Instagram at @thehollysticdietitian
To find the Glycemic Index reference list of foods mentioned in the
episode, you can go here:
NSW Institute Of Sport GI Reference
Want to learn more about how to best prepare for a hiking,
trekking or backpacking adventure?
The Online Summit Program.